We’ve come a long way since our groundbreaking ceremony back in 2009. From a run-down, vacant grocery store, we are now excited to say the project completion is near, with over 80% of the building renovations done!
Once it is complete, the Green & Main mixed-use building will house a women’s wellness center on the main floor, classrooms and meeting rooms on the lower floor, and an upper floor rental apartment will respond to housing needs in Sherman Hill’s high-density urban neighborhood.
Here are some quick summaries of the building’s completion status.
- The building enclosure is in the final phase of post construction touch-ups and we’re fine-tuning the details, paying special attention to revealing the original brick and properly sealing the building.
- The newly completed dual-window solutions are a combination of the original historic window fully restored and new energy efficient windows.
- An operating wheelchair lift, a breezeway canopy and a carport are all completed
Conservation Methodologies in Operation
- Nearing completion of our storm water management systems
- Custom gutters direct water flow to the natural prairie bio swell. This is a stylish and beautiful solution that is also functional.
- A solar array is in the installation process. Once installed the solar array is projected to supplement 25% of the building’s energy needs while regulating temperatures both in and on the building.
The building interior has gone through a complete transformation. Before the second phase of the project it was only a structure with its bones of masonry, concrete and reclaimed wood framing, suggesting its potential future use. Today…
- Wallboard (a mix of locally manufactured Rewall and regional drywall) was applied over the walls. This took place after the installation of electrical wiring, plumbing, insulation, and heating and cooling systems.
- We are currently installing light fixtures and completing the painting and finishes.
- Custom woodwork is almost finished, and the cabinets, sinks, countertops and appliances are being installed
- We’ve restored and finished the hardwood flooring, and real staircases are in place instead of ladders.
- The doors have been installed throughout the building and we are getting prepared wall treatments, which includes several walls where we feature creative ways to re-purpose salvaged lath that is original to the building.
All of these interior and exterior components are in the final stages, receiving the finishing touches, and the details that will bring them all to life and make them functional.
Through it all I’ve witnessed the power of tenacity and commitment in developing a space that marries historical preservation, sustainable design and community connection. For 10 years we’ve dealt with countless challenges in our journey to complete the Green & Main Pilot Project and to realize our vision. The team kept moving forward with resolve and creativity and now we can see our project evolve into its final phase. All that’s left are some of the subtle finishes, yet these are some of the most meaningful components, things that make it even more powerful as a space.
See the photos below to witness some of the transformations.